Hi,
.
Aren't we suppose to have sufficient IP address so that each can have
globally unique address? If that is the case, can't each user get his/her
own IP address without bothering about renumbering in the service provider?
Why are we trying to constrain the end user, to solve the routing problem?
IPV4 doesn't work well with NAT. We are trying to address many limitation of
IPV4 in IPv6. Why not try to make IPv6 such that, it can work well even when
technology like NAT is deployed i.e. the end address is different from the
transport address. Any way we are modifying application, won't it be better
if they are modified in more flexible way.For example: We use one address to
address the end systems, this
address has certain bits that are unique globally, but certain bits that are
used only for routing and can take any value depending on the routing path
that exist at that moment? When somebody uses a new service provider, the
upper bits are changed by the gateway routers (or by the routing component
in the host itself by doing a dns queery), and since the end systems
don't use those upper bits at all, they could care less who is the service
provider? In telephone system we have the countrycode-areaCode-number, may
be for Ip we need
serviceProviderCode-countryCode-areaCode-number. When we want to ping or do
any such thing, we keep the service provider code as zero or something
else. Address aggregation can be done at service provider code or using
country code or any other combination.(May be in IP world we would use
domaincode like.com, .edu instead of country code so the address also
reflect the DNS hierarchy).
There can be many other use of separating the transport address from the end
address as there are advantages of decoupling them (one can argue that the
dns name are the end address but a string doesn't usually form a good thing
for end address).
 One can also have certain bit in the transport address (or can be in
ipHeader) to indicate that this packet is from a customer and service
provider may treat this packet differently.
Regards,
Vijay