>Do such implementations which have problems with 64KB packets need to be
>able to use tunneling?

I'm not sure -- do you think that home gateways, cable modems, DSL
modems, etc. will need to use tunneling?

>Doesn't seem harsh to me (e.g. small devices like LCNA's should not have
>to do this), though we need analysis whether this is really a problem.

I agree that a home security system or a car radio isn't likely to start
tunneling any time soon.  But, most home gateways and SOHO routers are closed
embedded system with no disk and/or virtual memory.  Do you expect that
they will need to use tunneling?

Margaret