> From: Robert Elz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> But can you test what happens if you configure an address on some other
> node (using a different implementation), that happens to be one that yor
> node will assign, without doing DAD on it explicitly, and then start
> your node after that.

I think the first discussion should be about the most common normal
case: autoconfiguring using the "globally unique" EUI64 ID (or if not
global, then at least ID which is supposed to be normally unique on
the link).

Ok, first definitions:

- Node A, has "globally unigue" id = AI, implements "link local"
  optimization (does DAD only on fe80::AI).

- Node B is the evil one :-). It has its own "globally unique" id = BI
  for it's link local

- Prefix "P1::/64" is advertised on the link by the router.

Events in order of occurrence:

1. Node B is manually configured with address "P1::AI"

2. Node B does DAD on "P1::AI" and assigns address, because node A is
   not yet connected.

3. Node A comes online on the link

4. Node A does DAD on "fe80::AI", and succeeds.

5. Router send RA with P1::/64

6. Node A uses P1::AI without doing DAD (and probably both A and B
   cannot communicate properly with this address).

Some observations:

- if before (6.), A did DAD on "P1::AI", it would fail and leave A
  without any global address to use. It's options would be

  a) accept the situation and be isolated
  b) generate temporary AIn and use "P1::AIn" (repeat until DAD
     succeeds) (can also redo fe80::AIn).

- it seems that this is a configuration error on the node B, that
  should be detected and fixed.

- situation does not occur in the normal autoconfiguration, where node
  needs to have a link local address first.

The whole issue comes from the introduction of "privacy" and generated
addresses. To me this is a special case, and it should solve it's own
problems, and not break the normal case. And one solution is that,
whatever address "Prefix::Id" you configure, you always do the DAD on
linklocal "fe80::Id" (you don't need to actually generate this
address, if you are not going to use it, just handle DAD as if you had
it).