On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> 4.  Suggested protocol change
>
> o In IPv4 address architecture document [Hinden, 1998] explicitly state
>   that IPv4 mapped address is for use within basic API [Gilligan, 1999]
>   , and basic API only.  Forbid any other uses.

You may recall someone (maybe it was you?) had suggested the issue of
using 'multicast' IPv4 mapped addresses in the API be handled in a
separate document rather than in the basic API.  It sounds like the above
suggestion would prevent that from happening at all if we ever came to
some agreement on the finer details.

> o Move any document that suggests the use of IPv4 mapped address on wire
>   to historic, due to security reasons.
>
> The above change will remove the threat due to the use of IPv4 mapped
> address on wire.

This sounds reasonable.