Margaret Wasserman wrote:

> >Jarno answered this one I think, but my point is that *they don't need to
> >know*. They just behave the same way in all cases, and the traffic that
> >doesn't carry fine-grain flow labels will just not get load balanced.
>
> The problem is that the traffic that "doesn't carry fine-grain flow labels"
> will still get sent through the load balancing mechanics, and packets with
> the same flow label will still get forwarded the same way.
>
> This is probably fine if a few related TCP connections are labelled with
> the same flow label, or something like that.
>
> It would be very bad, though, if the flow label were used, for example,
> to tag packets that contain a TCP SYN, or packets that contain IP options,

Agreed. That doesn't meet anyone's definition of a flow, I think.

> or all HTTP packets, or packets that want a certain class of services, etc.

Why on earth is that bad? It seems perfectly fine to me. That is
exactly the kind of scenario I am interested in.

> My largest problem with this draft is that I think it is needlessly
> complex...  What is wrong with specifying a simple default flow label
> mechanism, and requiring an API switch to override the values for
> each flow?

Because we don't agree on what the default should be (apart from label=0).
And a per-flow override is not a general solution; the scenarios
I have in mind would certainly not be satisfied by that, because
they are not microflow based scenarios.

   Brian