Let me see if I can remember the reasons I had
for removing the array.

1.  It would make the structure declaration similar to
the rest of extension headers.

2.  2292 and early 2292bis defined the array of size 1,
but it is valid to have a routing header with 0 segleft
and no IPv6 addresses. This corner case caused a bunch
of small problems for implementations that the new
definition avoided.

3.  Not all compilers understood flexible array member.
It also caused some confusion from users expecting sizeof()
to be different.

Additionally 2292bis has some other incompatibilities with 2292
this one being the least of the problems.  So that argument
doesn't fly.

-vlad