Hi group,

I am a bit confused about how ping6 works in an ethernet...

Assume I have a simple ethernet lan, with few private subnets, say
192.168.10.0 and 192.168.20.0, connected by a local gateway (G) with
interfaces 192.168.10.5 and 192.168.20.5. Now, I have a PC each on these
subnets, say with IPV4 addresses (A)192.168.10.15 and (B)192.168.20.15
configured with IPV6 linux, so that each of them have a link local IPV6
addresses starting with fe80:

Now when I do a ping6 from A like, 'ping6 -I eth0
link-local-IPV6address-of-B' I get a reply. How does this work?

My understanding is that the ICMPV6 datagram containing the echo  request
of ping program is put in an IPV6 datagram, which is put in an ethernet
frame and send down to G. But for G's routing module to understand the
destination IPV6 address of B, should there be any special protocol running
on it?

Sorry if my queston is confusing...Pls direct me to a good explanation of
how IPV6 works in an ethernet..

Thanks in advance
Regards,
Rajesh N