> How do site-locals work?
>
> For a single-sited host, I think the main requirement is
> draft-ietf-ipv6-default-addr-select-09. For applications that send
> addresses to correspondents (note this is a small minority of
> applications)

the number of applications is irrelevant.  what's important is how
badly this impairs the functionality of the Internet.  performance-
sensitive apps need to pass addresses around.

> it can get more complicated but it's still not bad - see
> kre's recent emails about this.

if each hosts prunes the addresses it advertises, it prevents
some things from working.  example: A and B use C as an intermediary;
A and B each advertise their addresses to C.  A and B share an address
scope which isn't accessible by C.  So if A prunes its addresses
when giving them to C, C isn't able to give B an address that it can
use.   Of course that is assuming that A knows which address scopes
C has access to, which it doesn't.

> For DNS, I implemented draft-ietf-ipngwg-site-prefixes-05 and it works
> great. Unfortunately since that draft seems to be dead, I think the
> fall-back for now is that to use site-locals you'll need a two-faced
> DNS.

DNS has the same problem as any other app that does referrals - it
has no way of knowing which address scopes are accessible to the
user of those addresses.

> For a multi-sited host, one additional requirement is that applications
> should deal with sockaddrs instead of directly with addresses, so that
> the scope-id is preserved & passed around as needed.

no, you can't pass sockaddrs across the net.

> Another additional
> requirement is routing table lookup needs to be cognizant of scoping.

no, that's just too much hair.

Keith