My view is that in the absence of strong discouragement of SL addresses
(with a few clearly valid use cases as exceptions), applications will be
expected to work well with a mixture of SL and global addresses -
even if IETF doesn't expect that.  So I don't think it's sufficient to
simply say "folks can use SLs if they want to", or even "site mode
apps don't have to talk to global mode apps"  - the former will create
a support burden for apps and the latter won't match with user expectations.

I doubt there are many inherently "site mode" apps.
I'm sure there are some, but offhand I can't think of any.

The trick is to provide recommendations that make it simple to do
the right thing.  A general discouragment of SLs would accomplish this.
Trying to outline all (and have applications detect and handle) of the
specific cases where SLs *could* be used is very difficult.

Keith