Bob,

> Bob Hinden wrote:
> Another router issue that gets talked around is should
> packets with site-local destination be forwarded to
> "default".  Given that site-local addresses are not
> created without being configured, one approach could be
> to have a "black hole" route for FEC0::/10 preconfigured
> in all routers.

There is some potential in this.

Rationale: ambiguity is a fail-safe for routes that leak in the DFZ even
though they were not supposed to and for ISPs that don't filter them
even though they were supposed to.

If we could add to this black hole a preconfigured prefix-list for each
peer that would deny FEC0::/10 ge 10 (1) that would likely be good
enough to let ambiguity go and we would make a step towards globally
unique site-locals.

(1) I am thinking about something like the default deny at the end,
except that it would be at the beginning and would be effective even
though there is no prefix-list applied to the peer. Something that would
require a separate command and a confirmation to de-activate. Why would
one want site-locals in BGP anyway?

Michel.