From: ext Brian Haberman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2003 11:41 PM
To: Thomas Narten
Cc: Brian E Carpenter; Rajahalme Jarno (NRC/Helsinki);
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipv6-flow-label-04.txt

Thomas Narten wrote:

We may be more in agreement than appears. I agree that
usage scenarios

should be left out. What I want to be sure about though is
that router

implementors have a clear understanding of what they need to
implement, in order to be able to support flows once specific usages
are defined. (Or, please correct me if this is this not a
goal here.)

I.e., folks doing hardware today want to know what they are supposed
to do with the Flow Label. They don't want to find themselves later
down the road saying "oops" our hardware can't support that
because we

didn't know that's how flows were defined.

It may well be that all that needs to be said is that a flow is
defined by the three tuple, and that implementations need
to classify

based on the tuple. What is done to packets that belong to a
particular flow is future work. But the definition of how the
classification is to be done seems important to nail down now. IMO,
the current wording about this could be more clear. But if hardware
folk feel like the current words are sufficiently clear on this, I'm
OK too.

Brian