Pekka Savola wrote:

> ==> another disadvantage is that the sites should really be /48's to make
> mergers with Internet global prefixes & addressing easier.

Pekka,

In both Bob Hinden's draft and my (quite similar) version we are allocating
addresses to *subnets*, not *sites*.  And subnets receive /64's.

The intent of the common idea in both proposals is to allocate a globally
unique identifier to every subnet without regard to any higher level
organisation.  The only event that will change the subnet prefix is changing
the router.

The core disadvantages are:

- Lack of aggregability (shouldn't be a problem until we start talking
thousands or tens of thousands of links, which is a VERY big 'site').

- Doesn't allow for easily crafted 'well known' addresses (at which point
you allocate these conventionally).

- Changing router may imply fixing DNS mappings to cope with host address
changes.

The core advantage is that you can assign a unique prefix to every subnet
without needing to know about anything other than the router interface that
manages the subnet.  In some environments this is a significant advantage.

--
Andrew White                [EMAIL PROTECTED]