Why would you expect an ISP to give up this revenue stream?
Your theory that the ISP's "cost advantage" in limiting the number and stability
of addresses is solely (or even mostly) a result of scarcity is not consistent
with the ISP industry as it currently exists.

|We aren't here to provide methods of differentiation;

I'm not asking for such methods. I'm merely asking for some specifics to back
up the repeated assertions that ISPs are going to change their business models
and give everyone all the addresses they want.
This is the crux of why I believe that we will need to find a way to
return to stable, provider-independent, globally-routable addresses to
avoid NAT in IPv6.

I do realize that there are scaling issues with allocating globally-routable,
provider-independent addresses, but I think that we should look for other
ways to fix those problems, rather than provider-allocated addressing.  If
we can't find another way, though, we will be forced to choose between:

        - Provider-allocated addressing:  This will allow ISPs to
                use the "knobs" they have now to offer different
                business models to different types of customers, and
                will probably result in the use of NAT by customers
                who don't want to pay for more addresses, stable
                addresses, provider-independence in internal numbering,
                etc.

        - Provider-Independent address allocation:  This would allow
                customers to have as many stable, globally-accessible,
                provider-independent addresses as they need.  But, it
                also defeats our current plans for provider-based
                address aggregation, perhaps leading to serious scaling
                issues in backbone routers.

Of course, if we take the address allocation "knob" away from ISPs, they
will need to find some other way to offer a range of services (and
prices) to different classes of users -- charging for bandwidth use, for
instance.

Margaret