To talk about resilience is a snare for the unwary until you specify
what you are providing resilience against.

The large enterprises I work with have a simple policy, set by the
non-technicians who run the organisation; no single point of failure.
That doesn't mean no single point of failure in the ISP - that is up
to the management of the ISP - but no single failure in the parts the
enterprise management is accountable for, such as the links to the
ISP.  So if one ISP piggy backs on another, that is the choice of the
management of the ISP and so not their responsibility.

In the non-IP world, that invariably means taking bandwidth, basic
carrier services, to two different telcos, coming out of different
parts of the site, to different exchanges, perhaps with different
media (copper and fibre, fibre and wireless), not having a power
supply (eg local electricity supplier) in common.  If in the centre of
the world these feeds share a fibre, that is the telco's concern, not
the enterprise's.  The enterprise should ensure that the telcos do not
share a local exchange or fibre to the site but no more than that.

This is a system that has evolved over decades with much pain but it
does work well because the bulk of failures -  some surveys put it as
high as 95% - occur within the 'last mile' and that is what this gives
resilience against.

IP? same difference.  It is the links to the ISPs'  points of presence
(obviously not co-located) that are the primary concern of the
enterprise management.  If ISPs share a resource, which in a sense
every ISP does because there is a single world-wide BGP RIB, then that
is the responsibility of the ISP.

So multi-homing is a must.

Tom Petch, Network Consultant
[EMAIL PROTECTED]