* Leif Johansson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 20030325.0913:

> Long experience shows that private addresses in any
> form are a
> bad idea on the Internet.

But what I understand of Saywell's requirement is that this isn't the
Internet (big 'I'). It is _an_ internet, whose topology changes shape,
albeit not too frequently. Sometimes, some parts of this internet have
links to the Internet, and so will see globally routable address
prefixes that may be propagated to all the nodes in the 'site',
meaning that every participant node in Saywell's network will (for
that time at least) have 'n' globally routable addresses from the 'n'
nodes that have links up to the Big-I.

However, that level of connectivity is ephemeral at best, for the
target audience, as I perceive it, includes people having nodes on
dial-up lines (therefore potentially getting a different global prefix
on each connection), DSL lines, and vary rarely any form of fixed
provider (its a community networking activity, right?). Therefore, it
is *not* clear that the nodes will have any form of
known/fixed/reliable address that they can communicate with each other
internally and, given that this is a multi-link network, there is a
desire for something that looks a lot like site local addressing.

(Or have I misinterpreted the application?)

Mark/

--
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people"
  - Mr. Garrison, South Park, CO