"Jeroen Massar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

|Dan Lanciani wrote:
|
|> "Jeroen Massar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|>
|> |[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
|> |

|> them. But

|> |
|> |Very good example that you don't get it at all.
|> |ISP's should be charging for traffic, not for IP's.
|>
|> So why don't you make the ISPs work the way you think they should?
|> Then NAT would go away and you wouldn't have to try to ban it.  NAT
|> is the effect, not the cause.
|
|That's the IPv4 world. The ISP's will have to get inside
|their heads that IP space is not 'scarce' anymore.

I'm sorry, but you simply do not understand the business model used by the
vast majority of ISPs in (at least) the US.  ISPs do not charge for IP addresses
because of their (largely artificial) scarcity.  ISPs use the number of
addresses as a surrogate measure of bandwidth.  ISPs use the stability of
addresses to control what they perceive as higher-use (= higher cost) activity
such as running a server.  Many ISPs also charge for addresses simply because
they can.

|Fortunatly most RIR's will tell them that when they
|request an allocation and I even suspect that when an ISP
|get 'caught' for not passing out the correct bits down
|to their clients that they can be requested to return
|their allocation as they are not using it anyways.

Now I really have to wonder if you are joking...

|The IPv4 mentality should go. IPv6 != IPv4 fortunatly ;)

Charging for addresses has nothing to do with an IPv4 mentality.  It
has to do with a business model.  There is absolutely nothing in IPv6
that would cause this business model to change.

                                Dan Lanciani
                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]