Hi Christian,

At 03:53 PM 4/4/2003 +0200, Christian Schild (JOIN Project Team) wrote:
I think it would be enough to come up with a BCP how to subdivide bits
11-48 in an intelligent way to prevent above. There were lots of ideas how
this could be done on this list.

We do need to define some method(s) to produce unique, local, provider-independent addresses (i.e. MAC address-based or registry-based).

But, I don't think that we want those local addresses to have
the semantics associated with site-local addressing, so I don't
think that we should allocate them from the current site-local
space (FECO::/10).

Most of the restrictions and complexities associated with scoped
addresses in the scoped addressing architecture (can't be nested,
can't overlap, need zone IDs to disambiguate, etc.) are required
_because_ site local addresses are ambiguous.  If you remove the
ambiguity, why would you want to live with the restrictions?

Let's deprecate the current site-local prefix, and define a
non-ambiguous model for local addressing.

Unique local addresses can, generally, be treated just like any
other addresses.  As long as we make sure that our method of
creating uniqueness retains the property that a longest prefix
match will result in using local address to reach local addresses
and global address to reach global addresses, we shouldn't need
any special handling for these addresses in hosts or routers.

Margaret