Keith Moore wrote:
> there is no justification for the idea that internal-use
> applications have a greater need for stability than other
> applications.

Not in an academic environment, but when people's jobs are on the line they
tend to set the bar *much* higher. One example of an app that requires
stability is maintaining the multi-$M cash flow through the database backend
to a company's ecommerce app. The bar becomes 'did you do everything you
could with current technology to keep it running?' When the answer is 'no, I
could have put in a NAT to isolate those systems from any external prefix
change', what do you think will happen? It doesn't matter that the IETF said
'nat is bad & crashing applications during a renumber is not a problem',
they will do what they have to before they allow a failure.

> actually, it's not clear that there is a significant class of
> inherently "internal-use applications".  for most things that
> people put into that category (e.g. printing, file access),
> there are significant and valid use cases for running them
> across network boundaries.

Running them across network boundaries does not invalidate the need for them
to be stable when run internally. It would be nice if people would stop
trying to invalidate someone else's requirements just because their own are
different.

Limited range prefixes do not solve all known problems. They simply solve a
subset of the existing problem space. Yes a single aggregatable PI address
would solve many of the same requirements, but not all. There will still be
a need for prefixes which are explicitly not routed, even accidentally as
part of some larger aggregate.

fwiw: I have offered documents about a PI space on a couple of occasions,
but the chairs have not taken that up. I suspect part of that is due to the
multi-homing discussion being handed to multi6. As recent threads show, this
topic can't be isolated in an off-the-radar wg because it is the core of the
disagreement here. By definition all IPv6 interfaces are multi-homed, and
those that can reach off link have to deal with multiple scopes. Wishing
that there was a single flat globally routed address space is not going to
make it happen.

Tony