>>> Erik Nordmark wrote:
>>> FWIW, I think a multi6 solution with id/loc separation will
>>> make the local addressing concerns go away.

If it provides something that is almost as good as PI.

>> Tony Hain wrote:
>> Any separation will require a mapping infrastructure to
>> dynamically bind the values back together.

> Keith Moore wrote:
> agreed.

Ditto.

>> Such a mapping infrastructure
>> will have all of the scaling concerns of DNS,

> Nor is there any inherent reason that propagation of updates
> has to be like DNS.

Agree.

> plus the constraint that its convergence times are extremely short.
> There is no well-known technology for running a global multi-master,
> cross trust boundary, database, with appropriate caching for scale,
> and convergence times that are useful for application failover.

It is not needed as long as the id/loc system does not need the full
database to be fully replicated all over the world at all times.

In other words, the requirements for that global multi-master, cross
trust boundary database can be lessened by an id/loc system that could
accommodate a partial picture as a bootstrap phase for its own mapping,
and the convergence time can be brought by the id/loc protocol instead
of database convergence.

> What would you call BGP then?  Granted, it's not exactly a database,
> but it's certainly "multi-master" and "cross trust boundary" and it
> at least attempts to converge within a timeframe in which apps can
> fail over.

I think that for practical purposes it's close enough of the definition
of a database. Granted, it is not nearly as complex as OSPF but it could
be called a database.

Michel.