There have been several comments on eliminating the
user input portion of the random selection algorithm.
This would, primarily, provide the capability to
automate the prefix generation process.  After assessing
issues with this, I have two possible proposals:

1. Re-use the random ID process defined in Appendix A.6
  in RFC 1889.  That algorithm derives a 32-bit number
  from the system clock, system name, process ID, and
  several other system-related IDs.  It would have to
  be modified slightly to provide a 40-bit value.

2. Replace the user-supplied birthday value with a system
  derived value (EUI has been suggested).  The system
  clock would still be utilized as a portion of the input
  to MD5.

It should be noted that #1 will return the same value on
repeated calls until the system clock changes or a different
value is passed in as a parameter.

At this point, my preference is for #1, since it has been
tested as a part of RTCP and the probability function is
well-defined in the rfc.

If others have differing opinions, let me know.

Thanks,
Brian H.