Herbert:

Recently the statement

"Implementations MUST process received UDP-encapsulated ESP packets even
when no NAT was detected."

was added to the draft. This has the potential to create black holes if
deployed in the field, unless all implementations always use UDP
encapsulation regardless of NAT. The problem is that if a peer behind a
firewall (with no NAT) that only allows inbound packets which are in
response to outbound packets performs UDP encapsulation without NAT, and the
remote peer responds without UDP encapsulation, then all data packets from
the remote peer will be dropped.

Looking at this from the point of view of the remote peer, the only
practical solution would be to always employ UDP encapsulation, regardless
of NAT detection.

Now through discussion on the mailing list it appears that this statement
was motivated by a need in MOBIKE to deploy UDP encapsulation when NAT is
not detected. So assuming that we want to cater for this in IPsec, we should
extend IKE to explicitly negotiate UDP encapsulation, rather than having it
rely on the result of NAT detection.

Not discussed in SF.

Yaron: this looks like an important issue!