I prefer the second proposal.  I would rather have one (even if longer)
variation of the protocol over two variations (even if one is shorter)

With such a possible attack published, auditors are going to force large
installations to use the safer (and longer) version anyway, as it is up to the
gateway to decide.

Email secured by Check Point