Paul Hoffman writes:
> At 4:44 PM -0400 4/10/09, black_da...@emc.com wrote:
> >That looks like an oversight at least wrt RFC 4869.
>
> Actually, this started with an oversight in RFC 4543. Section 5
> clearly says that it is for IKEv1 and IKEv2, but section 9 only
> seems to cover IKEv2.

Yes.

> >Chairs (of ipsecme) and Pasi (AD) - is a new RFC needed to
> >allocate this value, or is there a lower overhead and faster
> >means of getting this done?
>
> This can probably be done by Pasi, given the nature of the error.
> Otherwise, we probably need a revision to RFC 4543.

It would be easier to fix that if the value would be missing from the
IKEv2 registry as those are expert review actions.

The whole ikev1 (http://www.iana.org/assignments/isakmp-registry)
registry is completele mess. For example the top level iana list
(http://www.iana.org/protocols/) only contains following registries
pointing to the isakmp-registry:

  - ISAKMP AH Transform Identifiers
  - IPSEC Security Association Attributes
  - ISAKMP Identifiers
  - Signature Encoding Algorithm Values

The RFC2407 lists more registries:

   6.1 IPSEC Situation Definition
   6.2 IPSEC Security Protocol Identifiers
   6.3 IPSEC ISAKMP Transform Identifiers
   6.4 IPSEC AH Transform Identifiers
   6.5 IPSEC ESP Transform Identifiers
   6.6 IPSEC IPCOMP Transform Identifiers
   6.7 IPSEC Security Association Attributes
   6.8 IPSEC Labeled Domain Identifiers
   6.9 IPSEC Identification Type
   6.10 IPSEC Notify Message Types

And those are the registries actually included in the isakmp-registry
file.

In addition to those the isakmp-registry also contains the "ISAKMP
Domain of Interpretation (DOI)", and "Next Payload Types" registries.
The "Next Payload Types" which was created afterwords when we noticed
we do need it. I do not think its creation is specified in any RFC.
Don't even know when the DOI registry was created.

Most of those IKEv1 registries do require RFC and IESG review (IPsec
Situation Definition, IPSEC Security Protocol Identifiers, IPSEC
ISAKMP Transform Identifiers, IPSEC AH Transform Identifiers, IPSEC
ESP Transform Identifiers, IPSEC IPCOMP Transform Identifiers, IPSEC
Identification Type). Rest just require Internet Draft to specify
it...

As this change to the isakmp-registry changes the IPSEC ESP Transform
Identifiers registry, which do require Standard Track RFC or IESG
review, I think we cannot simply modify the registry, but we at
minimum need to make errata for the RFC4543 which reserves values also
from the IKEv1 registry.

Of course as everybody should be using the IKEv2, and everybody should
be moving away from the obsoleted IKEv1 protocol, we can also just say
that you cannot use those algorithms with obsoleted IKEv1 protocol,
and you need to use IKEv2 for it :-)

Anyways IANA should fix their toplevel list
(http://www.iana.org/protocols/) to include all the registries listed
in the isakmp-registry file, i.e.:
IPSEC Situation Definition
        RFC 2407
        Standards Action

IPSEC Security Protocol Identifiers
        RFC 2407
        0-248 Standards Track RFC; 249-255 Reserved for private use
        amongst cooperating systems

IPSEC ISAKMP Transform Identifiers
        RFC 2407
        0-248 Standards Track RFC; 249-255 Reserved for private use
        amongst cooperating systems

IPSEC AH Transform Identifiers
        RFC 2407
        0-248 Standards Track RFC; 249-255 Reserved for private use
        amongst cooperating systems

IPSEC ESP Transform Identifiers
        RFC 2407
        0-248 Standards Track RFC; 249-255 Reserved for private use
        amongst cooperating systems

IPSEC IPCOMP Transform Identifiers
        RFC 2407
        0-47 Standards Track RFC; 48-63 Reserved for private use
        amongst cooperating systems

IPSEC Security Association Attributes
        RFC 2407
        1-32000 Specification Required; 32001-32767 Reserved for
        private use amongst cooperating systems

Signature Encoding Algorithm Values
        RFC 4359
        Standards Action

IPSEC Labeled Domain Identifiers
        RFC 2407
        First Come First Serve

IPSEC Identification Type
        RFC 2407
        0-248 Standards Track RFC; 249-255 Reserved for private use
        amongst cooperating systems

IPSEC Notify Message Types
        RFC 2407
        8192-16000 and 24576-32000 Specification Required;
        16001-16383 and 32001-32767 Reserved for private use amongst
        cooperating systems

ISAKMP Domain of Interpretation (DOI)
        RFC ?
        Specification Required

Next Payload Types
        RFC ?
        0-127 ???, 128-255 Reserved for private use amongst
        cooperating systems