>     IKE is a reliable protocol, in the sense that the initiator MUST

>     retransmit a request until either it receives a corresponding reply

>     OR it deems the IKE security association to have failed and it

>     discards all state associated with the IKE_SA and any CHILD_SAs

>     negotiated using that IKE_SA.

>     {{ Clarif-2.3 }} Retransmissions of the IKE_SA_INIT request require

>     some special handling.  When a responder receives an IKE_SA_INIT

>     request, it has to determine whether the packet is retransmission

>     belonging to an existing 'half-open' IKE_SA (in which case the

>     responder retransmits the same response), or a new request (in which

>     case the responder creates a new IKE_SA and sends a fresh response),

>     or it belongs to an existing IKE_SA where the IKE_AUTH request has

>     been already received (in which case the responder ignores it).

Tero:

There is also the case of the invalid KE and cookie notifies, i.e. we

need to add comment about those too:

    ...  or it belongs to an existing IKE_SA where the IKE_AUTH request has

    been already received (in which case the responder ignores it), or

    it is INVALID_KE_PAYLOAD or COOKIE notify responses to the

    IKE_SA_INIT request.

Paul: Not done. This is interesting, but should be discussed on the list.