Yoav Nir wrote:
Hi Raj
Matt is correct. There is no way in IKEv2 to do a phase1-only exchange, and then wait for traffic to establish the child SAs. While we do establish an IKE SA if the piggy-backed child SA failed for whatever reason (bad selectors, no proposal chosen), we don't allow for an IKE_AUTH exchange that is missing the child payloads. An IKE_AUTH request without the TSi and TSr payloads is considered malformed, and so MUST NOT be processed. Instead, you should reply with INVALID_SYNTAX

  That really seems like a bug in the spec to me.
  I know that in my code I don't get upset about such a situation, as I
have unit test cases that were written when I didn't have child SA code
at all.  I wonder how many implementations really would get upset?