At 12:19 AM +0300 5/12/09, Yaron Sheffer wrote:
>In two words, why not? What is the exact new requirement you are referring
>to?

"multiple CERT payloads of type 4 MUST be used". That is a new requirement.

>More generally, this is not some obscure part of the RFC that we're
>discussing. This is possibly the most mainstream usage scenario.

I suspect not. From what I have heard from VPNC members over the years:
  preshared secrets >>
  certs issued directly from a trust anchor >
  certs in a hierarchy
(Where EAP fits in this list varies wildly between vendors)

>And we need
>to make every effort possible in order to ensure interoperability.

Fully agree. That's why I think it is important to not create new MUSTs for
this, but to expect implementers to be able to handle validation chains in a
variety of sensible fashions.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium