WARNING: contains banned part
--- Begin Message ---
On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 10:05 +0000, ss murthy nittala wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for the clarifications regarding IV usage for AES methods.
>
> RFC 2405 (DES) in its implementation note says
>
> "Common practice is to use random data for the first IV and the last
> 8 octets of encrypted data from an encryption process as the IV for
> the next encryption process; this logically extends the CBC across
> the packets.It also has the advantage of limiting the leakage of
> information from the random number genrator. No matter which mechnism
> is used, the receiver MUST NOT assume any meaning for this value,
> other than that it is an IV."

This was common practice at the time. Random numbers were considered a
scarce resources then, so using the last block of ciphertext was a close
enough approximation. Today random data is not scarce (operating systems
provide good enough random), so it's no longer recommended.

> But towards the end of the RFC, it says
>
> "For the first block of plaintext, though, the IV takes the place
>   of the previous block of ciphertext.  If the IV doesn't differ
>   much from the previous IV, and the actual plaintext block doesn't
>   differ much from the previous packet's, then the effective
>   plaintext won't differ much, either.  This means that you have
>   pairs of ciphertext blocks combined with plaintext blocks that
>   differ in just a few bit positions.  This can be a wedge for
>   assorted cryptanalytic attacks."
>
> What is RFC suggesting here?Anyway we can not avoid the possibility
> of successive plain packets being identical atleast partially.
> Is Random number for IV a must or it is ok to get it from the
> previous encrypted packet for DES?
>
> What are the latest observations?
>
> I also want know the same regarding 3DES.

RFCs are more about interoperability than operational security. The
method of generating the IV does not affect interoperability, so you'll
often see it discussed in "Security Considerations" sections without the
RFC 2119 terminology. Random numbers are better than using the previous
ciphertext block, and this is true for DES, 3DES, AES or any block
cipher.

Email secured by Check Point

--- End Message ---