Let me draw a time-sequence diagram to explain things as I understand them (fixed-width font alert)

        site to site policy
        policy: 1.0.0.0/8 <-> 2.0.0.0/8

        Alice-GW                     Bob-GW
--Trigger-->     (1.2.3.4->2.3.4.5)
(1)            <====IKEv2 exchange 1==>
               <***Trigger**IPsec SA**>

(2)            <====IKEv2 rekey ======>
               <***second***IPsec SA**>

(3)                               "POLICY CHANGE"

(4)            <====IKEv2 rekey: fail=>
(5) new trigger  (1.2.3.4 -> 2.3.4.5)
(6)            <====IKEv2 exchange 1==>
               <***third***IPsec SA***>
               1.2.3.4/32  <-> 2.0.0.0/8

The question is, what was this policy change at (3)?
Shouldn't such a policy change have caused any incompatible SAs to be removed? Let me suggest that perhaps there are changes which are not clearly policy changes.

Postulate that Bob-GW also has a "road-warrior" (George) that normally lives at Alice's site. Normally, George lives behind Alice-GW, and uses the site to site tunnel. When George is on the road, he uses his 1.0.0.0/8 address
(which is 1.4.5.6)  (He may also bring up a tunnel with Alice-GW)

Let's say that the event at (3) is that George brought up his tunnel with Bob-GW. Bob now has two SAs in his SPD:

1.    src: 2.0.0.0/8 dst: 1.4.5.6/32  STUFF.
2.    src: 2.0.0.0/8 dst: 1.0.0.0/8   STUFF.

The SPD is nicely ordered, so traffic to George travels down the seperate tunnel, while traffic back to Alice-site uses the original tunnel. The George tunnel had to be inserted before #2 so that it would have higher priority.

Now, when Alice rekeys, is that site allowed to assert control over
George's traffic? There are many answers here. I think that there are arguments for many things.

Note that in this situation, (3) is not a policy change from an administrative point of view, but simply George bringing up his tunnel. The IP address 1.4.5.6 might not even be present in the PAD: it could come from a certificate.

Note that I am not saying that that the situation outlined above (whereby Bob-GW fails the rekey, forcing Alice-GW to try again when she has a trigger packet, resulting in a much narrower SA -- how narrow is up to Bob-GW) is correct.