Scott:

RFC 4869 makes some statements like:

   The authentication method used with IKEv1 MAY be either pre-shared
   key [RFC2409] or ECDSA-256 [RFC4754].

That seems to me like an empty statement, since it doesn't require any particular set of choices nor does it proscribe any choice.

Pre-shared key involve a shared symmetric value.  ECDSA-256 involves a pubic-private key pair and a certificate.  Either one is acceptable for the Suite B environment.

Is it intended to proscribe the use of non-ECDSA digital signatures such as RSA, and therefore limit the options to pre-shared key and ECDSA-256?  I wonder if it should read "MUST" instead?

That is how I read it.

Russ