<wearing AD hat>

FYI: Tim will be the responsible AD for this draft (since I was listed
as a co-author in an earlier version); he will hopefully do his AD
evaluation soon (and might consider these as IETF Last Call comments).

<not wearing any hats>

There's one remaining issue that was changed due to WGLC comments, but
the result isn't quite what it IMHO should be.

When doing redirection during IKE_AUTH, in some situations the
IKE_AUTH response with the REDIRECT is the last message between the
client and gateway (and the IKE_SA is not used, and cannot be used,
for any other exchanges after that). In other situations, it *is*
used for (at least) one additional exchange (Informational exchange
with DELETE payload).

When the Informational exchange is needed/allowed and when not is
not totally random, but I don't expect that any readers would
understand it (I do know Tero can explain it :-). It also creates room
for confusion whether the REDIRECT is just a "hint" and the IKE_SA
could still be used for other exchanges, too.

I would suggest we get rid of this unnecessary complexity, and simply
say that when you do REDIRECT during IKE_AUTH, no more exchanges are
done (on that IKE_SA) after the REDIRECT is sent.

There's also one place that is probably correct, but would
benefit from some clarification. Section 5 says:

   "When the client receives this message, it MUST send an empty
   message as an acknowledgement.  Until the client responds with an
   acknowledgement, the gateway SHOULD re-transmit the redirect
   INFORMATIONAL message as described in [2]."

The MUST and SHOULD here give the impression that this Informational
exchange is somehow special, and treated differently from ordinary
Informational exchanges. As far as I can tell, it's *not* meant to be
special, and this text isn't meant to specify any new requirements.
I'd suggest rephrasing this something like

  "As in any other INFORMATIONAL exchange, the clients sends a
  response (usually empty), and the gateway retransmits the request if
  it doesn't receive a response."

BTW, in Section 10, "expert review" probably should be "Expert Review
as specified in [RFC5226]".

Best regards,
Pasi