On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 15:02 -0600, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 10:10:15AM -0600, Joy Latten wrote:
> > > The proposed work item is, at first glance anyways, too SELinux-
> > > specific.
> > >
> > > Note that SMACK encodes its labels as CIPSO labels, so a scheme that
> > > uses CIPSO can possibly be used in SMACK and non-SMACK environments, and
> > > possibly even be mixed.
> >
> > Yes, I agree.
> >
> > Actually, we hoped the method we introduced was generic enough to
> > accommodate both CIPSO and SMACK and any other MAC besides SELinux.
> > We had hoped to do this by treating the security context as an opaque
> > blob and introducing a DOI.
> >
> > I've actually discussed and collaborated about the "DOI" concept with
> > Linux's CIPSO developer, and labeled nfs' developer. SMACK developer
> > was included, but I do not recall if he said anything. We hoped that
> > this "DOI" would not only be used by labeled IPsec, but CIPSO and others
> > that use labels on the network. In a way, the "DOI" would help
> > to identify the "mapping", thus perhaps allowing  different MACs to talk
> > to each other. Interoperability was and is a chief concern. However,
> > I am sure the drafts most definitely can be improved upon.
>
> See the long threads on related topics on the SAAG and NFSv4 lists with
> subjects:
>
>  - Common labeled security (comment on CALIPSO, labeled NFSv4)
>  - Why the IETF should care about labeled?ne tworking (was:CIPSO
>    implementations)
>  - Secdir Review of draft-stjohns-sipso-05

Thanks for pointing this out. I was not aware of the threads and
am finding them very interesting and informative.

> I'm not sure what the best way forward is, but here are some thoughts:
>
>  - A notification indicating what DOI(s) are supported by the sender
>    might help.

Yes. The drafts suggest that by specifying the DOI as part of the SPD
entry, that would identify the DOI to support for this traffic stream.

>    Not that I expect that any system will participate in multiple DOIs,
>    but then, IIRC SMACK supports mappings of SMACK labels (which hijack
>    a level in CIPSO) to non-SMACK CIPSO labels for interop, for example.
>    This idea is probably not too farfetched.
>
>  - A label type in addition to DOI.

Ok. I originally perceived this as part of the DOI description, but I
could understand wanting to separate for perhaps flexibility.

>    Not that I expect a single DOI to use multiple label types, but at
>    least one can then parse the label payload according to the stated
>    type rather than having to find the right type for the given DOI.
>
>  - Text on the encodings of specific label types' labels.
>
>    Particularly I think you need to have normative references to the
>    relevant RFCs and other work for the 'core' label types.

Yes, I agree, although I am unaware of any RFCs dealing with that yet.

regards,
Joy