On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 10:18:48PM -0500, Michael Richardson wrote:
> Dan Harkins wrote:
> >     2. solves the specific problem it is aimed at poorly-- doubling of
> >        the number of messages, requiring writing and testing of new
> >        state EAP state machines that are, otherwise, unnecessary; and,
>
> Does it double, or does it really just "n+1", which is doubling if the
> rest of the protocol has "n=1"?  I also wonder if this is really a
> sufficiently compelling reason to have two sets of code.
>
> >     3. is insecure (unless something used nowhere today is employed: EAP
> >        channel bindings).
>
> We can, and must solve this.

It's not just EAP channel binding that you need, but EAP cryptographic
binding.  Remember: what EAP calls "channel binding" is very different
from the meaning of "channel binding" used elsewhere (RFC5056 describes
the difference in terminology); EAP cryptographic binding is closer to
the more generic (IMO) meaning of channel binding.  (Just trying to
avoid confusion!)

Nico