I would actually rather remove the "MUST NOT unilaterally close them" and
replace it with "may unilaterally close them".

But wait, there's something weird here.

>From the PoV of any implementation, the SA pair is one inbound SA and one
>outbound SA. When you send a DELETE, you send it for the INBOUND SA. So I was
>wrong - it's outbound SAs that you accumulate. If the peer does not close the
>other end, you are left with a half-closed SA - just an outbound SA.  Surely
>closing that is easy - you just don't use it any more, so you might as well
>delete it from your database - no leak on your end, and the minimal
>implementation should take care of itself.

So what's this text about "MAY refuse to accept incoming data"?  There is no
incoming data unless your peer misunderstood your DELETE payload. An
INVALID_SPI notification might set them straight.