On Dec 16, 2009, at 6:36 AM, rahul bharadhwaj wrote:

Hi all

Could anyone let me know which crypt algo des/3des/aes should be used  with
aes-xcbc-mac hashing.

As aes-xcbc-mac uses aes for authentication and integrity, is it correct to
apply des for encryption or is there any restriction.

Thanks in advance
rb

Hi.

We generally regard encryption and integrity to be orthogonal, so you can mix
and match as you'd like as long as all algorithms are strong enough.

Some have an aesthetic preference to match key strengths, so they wouldn't use
56-bit DES with HMAC-SHA-512.  But if your security requirements are for
56-bit, there is no reason not to use DES.

If you have more stringent requirements, either 3DES or AES would be good.
Usually AES is better performing, so you would usually prefer that.