Not wearing any hat:

At 10:10 PM +0000 1/5/10, Brian Swander wrote:
>I'll resend my message from earlier today that gives a concrete scenario for
>why the WESP encryption bit is in charter.
>
>To satisfy the existing charter item, we need a deployable solution, which
>entails working with legacy systems that don't support this functionality yet.
>
>Here's an explicit scenario that requires the encrypted bit for WESP, fully
>within the current charter of enabling ESP-NULL inspection.
>
>Transport policies for within an organization that want to enable intermediary
>inspection of ESP-NULL non-heurisitically.  Organization has a mix of version
>of systems.
>
>Sample policy:
>When talking to/from non-WESP capable machines:  must do ESP-NULL only
>When both peers are WESP capable: do WESP/ESP-NULL most places.  However,
>where policy requires encryption, do WESP/ESP.
>
>Only with the WESP encrypt bit can intermediaries distinguish what is going on
>here, and still enable the uplevel systems to do full encryption where needed.
> I.e. if they see ESP, it must be ESP-NULL.  If they see WESP, then they must
>leverage the encrypt bit to see what to do.
>
>Hence we need to keep the encrypted bit to satisfy the current WESP charter
>item.

That policy makes sense if you assume that WESP covers encrypted ESP. If WESP
only covers unencrypted ESP, the policy would be:

When talking to/from non-WESP capable machines:  must do ESP-NULL only.
When both peers are WESP capable: do WESP/ESP-NULL.

This is exactly what was envisioned when the WG chartered the work item. That
is, the presence of WESP does not affect policy about encryption.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium