Hi Yaron,

  [wearing a baseball cap from the "Working Man's Triathlon"!]

  These same "unmanaged machines" will cause problems for this new
mutated form of WESP (wrapping both encrypted and unencrypted ESP).
There is no way to assure that they will use WESP. Maybe they'll
use ESP-null without WESP and then these middleboxes relying on
WESP wrapped ESP to do their job are out-of-luck. So yes, these
machines do pose a problem, but WESP doesn't fix that problem.

  Over time a larger and larger portion of the network will "play by
the rules", as you say, but those rules could be: 1) use WESP to wrap
all your ESP traffic, both encrypted and not encrypted; or 2) use
ESP for encrypted traffic and <NAT-friendly-AH-protocol> for your
unencrypted traffic.

  Aside from architectural cleanliness, another benefit of a NAT-friendly
AH would be that the temptation for extensions and the consequential
creep of new "requirements" (what WESP seems to be suffering from right
now) would go away. We had a problem and the solution has morphed and
succumed to temptation. That's the sign of a bad solution.

  Dan.