At 3:02 PM +0530 1/11/10, Bhatia, Manav (Manav) wrote:
Dan,

   You trust the end nodes to negotiate WESP and encapsulate their ESP
 packets in WESP but you don't trust the content they put into those
 packets. Is that the trust model you're operating on?

No.

We trust the end nodes to put the right information in the WESP header. But, we don't trust the intermediaries, that could have mangled the packet so that it goes through the firewall/deep inspection device.

If that happens, then the packet should not be consumed, which would make the attack by a malicious middle box worthless.

Hope this helps.

Manav

I don' know about anyone else, but it didn't clarify the threat model for me :-).

In some messages the phrase "trusted intermediaries" is used, which does not seem to fit your text above. If you are alluding to a MITM, say so.

Steve