Thanks for the in-depth review; I expect we will hear more for sections after
2.16. I have incorporated all the editor comments and opened issues for many of
the technical ones. Here is my list of ones that I have rejected; it does not
include ones that Tero responded to and you agreed to drop. Please let me know
if you have any issues with this list.

=====
1.4: "The processing of an INFORMATIONAL exchange is determined by its
component payloads." Adding "The payloads are processed in strict left-to-right
order" would make it deterministic, and is probably what people do today.

[[ Response: New requirement; not OK. ]]

=====
1.4.1: In general the section is very wordy yet confusing: if each peer is
responsible for deleting (=sending a delete payload for) its own incoming SAs,
then why should we say that "one never sends delete payloads for the two sides
of an SA in a single message".

[[ Response: The wordiness helps implementers who were not here for the design
of IKEv2. ]]

=====
1.4.1: the last paragraph springs a surprise by defining the behavior of IKE SA
deletion while discussing an unlikely "messing up" of Child SAs. IKE SA
deletion deserves its own subsection.

[[ Response: it is optional behavior and makes sense. If you want a section on
IKE SA deletion, you have to write it. I propose that it might be very late for
doing that. ]]

=====
2: the last paragraph, beginning "The UDP payload" is out of place here.

[[ Response: It is useful in the general sense of "IKE Protocol Details and
Variations". It is described in more detail later. ]]

=====
2.3: do we allow to send SET_WINDOW_SIZE in the initial exchange? We don't say
we don't - although we do say that it would only be effective starting with
IKE_AUTH. But I believe we should not accept it until both peers are fully
authenticated.

[[ Response: that would be a new prohibition. I don't see text in the current
doc indicating this. ]]

=====
2.8: "An initiator MAY send a dummy message on a newly created SA if it has no
messages queued in order to assure the responder that the initiator is ready to
receive messages." A dummy message on an IPsec SA is way out of scope. Whether
such messages even exist is a matter of local implementation. We certainly
don't have IPsec-level keepalives. Overall, the last 3 paragraphs of 2.8
(starting "There are timing windows") are a mess: you have to read them several
times before you realize that this is not normative text, rather it is several
implementation alternatives.

[[ Response: I found those paragraphs clear, but I might have missed something.
Suggest rewording in a new ticket if you wish. ]]

=====
2.15: the value GenIKEHDR is confusing, because it is actually NOT including in
the calculation. Is suggest to replace it with a clarifying sentence.

[[ That is what we had earlier, and the WG reversed that and wanted it in the
diagram. ]]

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium