At 9:48 AM +0300 2/4/10, Valery Smyslov wrote:
>These two paragraphs are left from previous version and
>should be removed (now all they are talking about is explained
>in more details below).

There were bits in those two paragraphs that were still new, but on further
looking, I see that those bits appear (sometimes many times) in the rest of the
document. I'll remove them.

> >    There are some cases in which a node receives a packet that it cannot
>>    process, but it may want to notify the sender about this situation.
>>
>>    o  If an ESP or AH request or response packet arrives with an
>
>There are no "requests" and "responses" in ESP and AH.
>Just remove these words.

Whoops, good call.

> >       unrecognized SPI.  This might be due to the receiving node having
>>       recently crashed and lost state, or because of some other system
>>       malfunction or attack.
>>
>>    o  If an encrypted IKE request packet arrives on port 500 or 4500
>>       with an unrecognized IKE SPI.  This might be due to the receiving
>>       node having recently crashed and lost state, or because of some
>>       other system malfunction or attack.
>>
>>    o  If an IKE request packet arrives with a higher major version
>>       number than the implementation supports.
>>
>>    In the first case, if the receiving node has an active IKE SA to the
>>    IP address from whence the packet came, it MAY send an INVALID_SPI
>>    notification of the wayward packet over that IKE SA in an
>>    Informational exchange.  The Notification Data contains the SPI of
>
>s/Informational/INFORMATIONAL

Also good call. (I hate the way we still use all caps for this for no good
reason, and I guess that colors my writing...)

>>    the invalid packet.  The recipient of this notification cannot tell
>>    whether the SPI is for AH or ESP, but this is not important because
>>    the SPIs are supposed to be different for the two.  If no suitable
>>    IKE SA exists, the node MAY send an informational message without
>
>Probably s/informational/Informational ? I'm not sure because the
>term "Informational Message" is never formally introduced in the document
>apart from this section...

Actually, it is introduced in 1.4: "Note that some informational messages, not
exchanges, can be sent outside the context of an IKE SA."

> >    cryptographic protection to the source IP address, using the source
> >    UDP port as the destination port if the packet was UDP (IKE or UDP-
> >    encapsulated ESP or AH).  In this case, it should only be used by the
> >    recipient as a hint that something might be wrong (because it could
> >    easily be forged).  This message is not part of an Informational
>
>s/Informational/INFORMATIONAL

Yes

> >    exchange, and the receiving node MUST NOT respond to it because doing
> >    so could cause a message loop.  The message is constructed as
> >    follows: There are no IKE SPI values that would be meaningful to the
>
>Shouldn't the first letter in "There" be lower case 't'?

Yes

> >    recipient of such a notification; using zero values or random values
> >    are both acceptable, this being the exception to the rule in
> >    Section 3.1 that prohibits zero IKE Initiator SPIs.  The Initiator
> >    flag is set, the Response bit is set to 0, and the version flags are
> >    set in the normal fashion.
>
>In is not said which Exchange Type should be set in Informational Message
>(one may of course guess that it is INFORMATIONAL, but I think it is better
>to spell out this explicitly).

I would think *not* INFORMATIONAL because we just said "this is not part of an
INFORMATIONAL exchange". Having said that, I have no idea what to use instead.
What do others think?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium