I'm fine with the change, and with the reference being either normative or
informative. I prefer informative, though.

-----Original Message-----
From: ipsec-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:ipsec-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Yaron
Sheffer
Sent: Saturday, May 08, 2010 11:55 PM
To: IPsecme WG
Subject: [IPsec] IESG DISCUSS re: IKEv2-bis and RFC 4307

Hi everyone,

There is a DISCUSS position from an IESG member on the ikev2bis document
that says:

>The Gen-ART Review by Elwyn Davies on 4 May 2010 raised a question
>that deserves consideration.  Elwyn said:
>>
>> s3.3.4: The draft states that the list of mandatory to implement
>> suites has been removed due to evolution going too fast.  However
>> there are effectively some mandatory to implement suites; they are
>> listed in other documents.  There should be a way of finding them
>> so that users and implmenters can find them easily.
>>
>Inclusion of a informative reference seems reasonable.  There could be
>warning that the algorithm document is likely to be updated without
>a corresponding update to the protocol.  The RFC index will tell the
>community when the algorithm document is revised.

The previous WG chose not to put any reference to RFC 4307 into RFC
4306, so this would be a change. Having said that, adding a reference is
not much of a change. Proposed wording for 3.3.4 would be:

CURRENT:
    The specification of suites that MUST and SHOULD be supported for
    interoperability has been removed from this document because they are
    likely to change more rapidly than this document evolves.

PROPOSED:
    The specification of suites that MUST and SHOULD be supported for
    interoperability is not included this document because they are
    likely to change more rapidly than this document evolves. At
    the time of publication of this document, [RFC 4307] specifies
    these suites, but note that it might be updated in the future, and
    other RFCs might specify different sets of suites.

RFC 4307 would be listed as a normative reference.

Please note that we are going one better than Elwyn's comment, in adding
4307 as a normative, rather than informational, reference. Is there any
objection in the WG to this change?

Thanks,
        Yaron