Yaron asked me to review draft-ietf-ipsecme-ipsec-ha on 2010-06-01. Here are my comments most of which are about clarifying text (so that readers who didn't participate in the WG discussions can understand this unambiguously), plus a couple of nits.

Yoav, could you post a new version that addresses my comments before we start IETF Last Call?

#1) Should this I-D have been called "IPsec Cluter Problem Statement" to more closely align with the charter? The header also?

#2) The abstract needs to be clearer and more closely follow what's in the charter (I think the document does, but the abstract doesn't state it clearly). It states:

 This document describes a requirement from IKE and IPsec to allow for
 more scalable and available deployments for VPNs.    It defines
 terminology for high availability and load sharing clusters
 implementing IKE and IPsec, and describes gaps in the existing
 standards.

Is this a requirement "from" or "for" IKE/IPsec? I think it's supposed to be for.

It's missing the "problem statement" text from the charter. How about the following suggested text:

This document defines a set of terminology, a problem statement, and set of requirements for clusters implementing IKE and IPsec. It also describes gaps in the existing standards that need to be filled in order to allow peers to interoperate with clusters from different vendors. An agreed terminology, problem statement, and requirements will allow the IPSECME WG to consider development of IPsec/IKEv2 mechanisms to simplify cluster implementations.

#3) I'd like to see "cluster" introduced in the 2nd paragraph of Section 1. It kind of jumps out in the 3rd para.

  by using more than one physical gateway to either share the load
  or back each other up (i.e., using a cluster).
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#4) Section 1: r/organizations's/organization's

#5) Section 2: In section 1, it specifically mentions that the gateways are physically separate. Should this also be worked in to the definition of cluster in section 2:

 "Cluster" is a set of two or more physically separated gateways,
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 implementing the same
 security policy, and protecting the same domain.  Clusters exist to
 provide both high availability through redundancy, and scalability
 through load sharing.

#6) Section 2: Should this I-D explain or point (informatively) to how Availability is computed?

#7) Section 2: HS Cluster (there might only be one other): r/whereas the others are/whereas the other(s) are

#8) Section 2: LS Cluster: Can we replace: "and we don't want to even imply that this is a requirement" with "and this is not a requirement"?

#9) Section 2: Failover (add ,): r/In a load sharing cluster/In a load sharing cluster,

#10) Section 2: Loose Cluster: Is it that one address gets allocated to more than one member at failover, just one other, or can both happen? r/In some cases, members IP addresses may be allocated to other members at failover./In some cases, member's IP address(es) may be allocated to another member or members at failover.

#11) Section 3.2: Spell out first instance of SAD (it's not in the RFC editor's expansion
list:http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-style-guide/abbrev.expansion.txt).

#12) Section 3.2 (last paragraph): The definition of High Availability states that it's not a configuration type, but in the following it sure does sound like it: "A naive implementation of a high availability cluster would have no synchronized state, and a failover would produce an effect similar to that of a rebooted gateway". Because all of the clusters in this document offer high availability can you just strike "high availability" from the sentence?

#13) Section 3.3: This section needs to be rephrased as a problem statement not a solution. If the solution presented is a MUST requirement, then I'd like to see that stated clearly with a "MUST".

#14) Assuming the sections 3.4 and 3.5 are about IPsec SA: r/SA/IPsec SA

#15) Section 3.4-9: I'd like to see clear requirements language about what the mechanism(s) MUST/SHOULD/MAY support.

#16) Section 3.4: Shouldn't the 'must not' be "MUST NOT"?

#17) Section 3.5 (knowing people will want to verify this statement): Please provide a pointer to where this is: This is allowed by the standards, because replay counter verification is an optional feature. i.e., see section x of [RFCXYZ].

#18) Section 3.6: All the clusters are highly available: r/a high availability cluster/a cluster

#19) Section 3.7, spell out first instance of HA and add it to the definition in Section 2.

#20) Section 3.7: what's a "commodity load balancer"?

#21) Section 3.7 to make the two category sentence work, r/The other way, is to duplicate the child SAs, and have a pair of IPsec SAs for each active member./The second is the "duplicate" category, where the child SA is duplicated for each pair of IPsec SAs for each active member.

#22) Shouldn't the 'must never' be 'MUST NOT'?

spt