On Sep 4, 2010, at 3:01 PM, Kalyani Garigipati (kagarigi) wrote:

> 1. If window size is say some five and range expected is 4-8, and if
> peer has got all four requests with values 5,6,7,8 and 4 is lost, then
> there would be no message id that can be used to send the notify
> reset_window.
> The initiator will not know which message Id should be used to send the
> new notify.

It's actually worse than that. If message #4 was missed, and 5-8 were received,
then messages 5-8 are stored, but not processed. This has to be so, because
suppose message 7 deletes the SA that was created in message 4, you can't
process it before message 4. In any case, message 4 has to be processed before
5,6,7, and 8. So it doesn't matter what kind of exchange or notifies you have
in the new message, or whether it is within the message window or outside it.
As long as message 4 was lost, the IKE SA is toast unless we have some special
processing rules.