Hi Keith.

After reading your draft, I wish I had done this in RFC 4478. Still, I have
some comments.

What are the considerations for the responder accepting a re-authentication?

Suppose we have an active IKE SA between Alice and Bob.  Now Bob gets a new
IKE_SA_INIT request with an N(REAUTH_SA) and the IKE SPIs for the old IKE SA.
When should Bob accept?  When should Bob decline? What if later (in the
IKE_AUTH exchange) the authenticated identity turns out to be Mallory?

The way the draft is now, anyone can probe for the existence of IKE SPIs by
sending IKE_SA_INIT requests with arbitrary IKE SPIs in the REAUTH_SA
notification. This is not a particularly useful attack, but no need to expose
ourselves to it. I think it would be better to move the notifications to the
IKE_AUTH exchange. Once there, the intuitive logic would be:
 - If the peer authenticates as other than Alice, deny REAUTH (fail the
exchange?)
 - If authentication fails, ignore it. The old IKE SA remains alive.
 - If the peer authenticates as Alice, allow the reauth.

This leads me to another issue. If the peer authenticates as Alice, we can
treat it as an "Alice". Is it OK for "an Alice" to inherit the child SAs of any
other "Alice"?  Ideally, there is only one "Alice" and if the peer
authenticates as "Alice" it may inherit any child SAs belonging to any IKE SA
belonging to "Alice", but I think it would be better to somehow tie the old SA
to the new SA with non-public information. Perhaps something derived from the
SKEYSEED along with SK_d and the rest.

One final issue. The IKE_AUTH exchange in your draft does not include what's
needed for creating new Child SAs. This is not allowed by RFC 5996. There is,
however, a soon-to-be-published RFC for this (draft-nir-ipsecme-childless)

Yoav