From:       Yoav Nir <y...@checkpoint.com>
To:         IPsecme WG <ipsec@ietf.org>
Date:       10/20/2010 04:10 AM
Subject:    Re: [IPsec] Issue #194 - Security Considerations should discuss
            the threat
Sent by:    ipsec-boun...@ietf.org

One week, and no replies...

I will leave this issue open unless I get some suggested security
considerations text.

The first paragraph in section 10.1 says the following. What else is
missing?

   Tokens MUST be hard to guess.  This is critical, because if an
   attacker can guess the token associated with an IKE SA, she can tear
   down the IKE SA and associated tunnels at will.  When the token is
   delivered in the IKE_AUTH exchange, it is encrypted.  When it is sent
   again in an unprotected notification, it is not, but that is the last
   time this token is ever used.

Yoav

On Oct 11, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Yoav Nir wrote:

> Yaron: The security considerations are focused on details of the QCD
solution, rather then on the threats we are dealing with. These threats are
non-trivial to describe, since an active MITM attacker can easily cause an
IKE SA to be reset. OTOH, we don't want an active non-MITM attacker to be
able to do so. We need to analyze the threats in order to select a secure,
but not overly complex solution.