I also agree that this draft is useful, and I support its going forward, either
as a WG document or as an individual document.

While data communications may originate from either side (sensor notifies
controller, controller queries sensor, controller sends command to actuator), I
think it is reasonable to require that IKE be initiated from the "thing", for
two reasons:
 1. It cuts down the required code almost in half
 2. The "things" often sleep for extended periods of time, so you can't depend
on them being able to respond.

There are two things I'm wondering about, though. Why is this draft written
like a mini-RFC5996, instead of just referencing 5996 and describing a profile.
You could skip all of Appendix A and much of the explanation in section 2.

Also, what happens with SA expiry?  According to section 2.1, the "thing"
Cannot send delete payloads in Informational exchanges. I guess it could just
create a new IKE SA if its policy says that the old one has expired. But if the
SA expires first on the controller, either the "thing" is sleeping and will
miss the DELETE payload, or it's not sleeping, and will ignore the DELETE
payload. Either way, you're stuck with an SA that exists on the "thing" but not
on the controller.

I can think of three ways to avoid this: You can require that SA lifetimes be
always shorter on the "thing" than on the controller. You can require them to
explicitly send SA lifetimes. Or you can require them to implement failure
detection.

Yoav