On Apr 12, 2011, at 3:17 PM, Tero Kivinen wrote:
> This kind of framework would allow using any of the secure password
> authentication methods in a way where they can co-exist in the same
> implementation. If the implementation is done properly, then it might
> be even possible to make it so that new algorithms can be added
> easily.
>
> The proposed protocol is mostly there for start of discussion and the
> final version might be different what I outlined above. I have quickly
> checked all password method drafts through and I think it should be
> quite easy to fit all of the mehods to this kind of framework.
>
> If people think this is good idea, I can write the first version of
> the framework draft and submit it as internet-draft quite soon, but
> before I start working on this I would like to get some feedback from
> others whether this is good idea, and whether authors of those methods
> would be willing to convert their drafts to use this framework. If the
> authors are not willing to use this framework then there is no point
> of creating the framework.

Hi Tero

I have mixed feelings about this. It's better than all four of those drafts
advancing separately. OTOH this plug-innable architecture is pretty much
admitting defeat. It sets us up to have a situation like EAP, with lots of
different methods, and no guide to implementers as to which methods to
implement.

But I guess it's the lesser evil.