On 10/19/2011 10:09 PM, Cui Yang wrote:
[...]
> 1. Most doubts have been cast on the rationale of encryption. Thanks
to comments by Tim and others, this requirement comes from 3GPP spec.,
as explained in the Introduction, where it says that 3GPP spec. SHALL
support encryption/tunnel in backhaul link.

If it says SHALL support encryption/tunnel in backhaul link does it say
that you MUST use it for timing packets or is it silent on required usage?

> 2. Then the problem arisen is the (intermediate) nodes cannot
recognize the timing if using an encrypted IEEE 1588, unless an
identifier is attached to such packets. Timing packets with an
identifier does not destroy its integrity protection, where ITUT[G.8265]
defines security requirements on synchronization, as we described in the
draft (Sec. 3). An unauthorized client or a rouge time server without
knowing the secret key cannot decrypt the timing information, and thus
cannot benefit from the protocol.

Noone cares about an unauthorized client. In NTP at least a rogue time
server would have its packets dropped because it would be so out-of-line
with other NTP servers sending NTP packets, irrespective of whether or
not they have access to the secret key. Even with autokey enabled NTP
won't accept falseticker packets.

> 3. Identified timing packets gives a little more information to
attackers than normal, considering DoS attack, but it is out of the
scope of this draft and can hardly be prevented. If an attacker is
willing to focus on dropping packets or blocking traffic, I am afraid
that most of current security countermeasures are useless. Similarly,
any intentional delay by attackers can mislead the client to receive a
false timing. In contrast, latency from crypto operations can be
measured easily.

An intentionally delayed packet or a false timing packet in NTP would be
automatically dropped and the clock would continue to be disciplined as
normal. While you can never totally defend against a DOS attack, NTP can
continue for hours if not days (depending on the quality of the clock
crystal) and keep accurate time. If you are concerned about this use
OCXO clock crystals which are much more stable long-term and will be
better if you are concerned about receiving good truechimer NTP packets.

> 4. Hardware based protocol, timestamping on all packets, will lead
an unacceptable performance down of Femtocell, due to our experimental
results. So, it is not correct to claim that "if you can timestamp some
packet, then you can timestamp all", at least from a performance point
of view. It does not satisfy our requirement 3(Sec. 3), as well.

You *can* timestamp all packets. The real question here is whether or
not the hardware and software can handle it and whether it solves the
problem and is of benefit.

Danny