Mike Sullenberger writes:
> I conceed the 1 IPsec SA issue, but with IPsec you still have to enumerate
> all of the subnets within that SA and renegotiate when subnets are added
> or removed.  With GRE tunneling IPsec only ever sees the GRE tunnel packet

I most likely would need to read the draft to understand more
correctly what subnets you are talking about. My understanding from
the discussion on the list was that we wanted to connect multiple
spokes connected to hubs to each other directly wihtout going through
the hub. I understood that the subnets negotiated would be those
between those two spoke systems, and they are usually quite stable,
meaning there will be new subnets added only every few
days/weeks/months, not every hour, thus the rekeying interval will be
more frequent than the renegotation because of the changes in subnet
lists.

I might be wrong, as I have just tried to understand what people are
doing by reading the discussion on the list...

> >So you still didn't explain what GRE does better than modern IPsec
> >tunneling?
>
> GRE is multiprotocol, an example is that I can run MPLS label switching
> directly over GRE and then encrypt the GRE/IP packet, whereas I cannot
> run MPLS directly over IPsec.

Ok, I assumed that we were still trying to be inside the IP-protocol
stack and forward IP-packets.