On Aug 6, 2011, at 10:37 PM, Yoav Nir wrote:

> Hi
>
> At the meeting in Quebec, I gave a presentation at the hokey meeting about
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nir-ipsecme-erx .
>
> The draft covers using the EAP extensions for re-authentication in IKEv2. The
> obvious (to me) use-case is a phone connected to a 802.1x network. As you
> leave the building, the same phone automatically using IKEv2 over a 3G
> network without the user authenticating, by using the handed-over keys from
> 802.1x.
>
> ERP (RFC 5296) works in two cases:
> 1. when the new AAA backend and the old AAA backend are the same, and
> 2. when they are different - you connect to a local EAP server
>
> There is an open question here. Obviously, when you use EAP for 802.1x or PPP
> or some other network access, you often connect to a local Authenticator that
> is not the same as your "home network". But is this relevant in IKEv2?  IKEv2
> is used over the Internet. Why would you ever want to connect to a server
> other than your home (or a server that relies on the same AAA backend)
>
> In other words: is there a use-case for connecting to a local rather than a
> home server in IKE, a use-case that uses EAP.
>
> My feeling is that the answer is no, and there were some phone operators in
> the room who agreed with me. Someone did bring up the case of host-to-host
> IPsec, but I don't think that ever uses EAP.
>
> Does anybody have different thoughts about this?

(crickets)

As there were no replies to this email, and as there was pretty much an
uncalled consensus at the HOKEY meeting, I have submitted version -02 of the
draft with an extra paragraph in section 3.2 to explain that "roaming to a
different EAP server" scenario is probably not relevant.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nir-ipsecme-erx-02

I would be happy for this to become a working group item, but if not, I would
like to take it to our ADs (not sure which one, as this involves both IPsecME
and HOKEY). I would also appreciate any suggestions for the Security
Considerations section, other than just moving the rest of section 3.2 into it.