From: ipsec-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:ipsec-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of
Stephen Hanna
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2011 12:09 PM
To: ipsec@ietf.org WG
Subject: [IPsec] Preparing a charter change for P2P VPN

The conclusion of Wednesday night's P2P VPN side meeting was that we would
start a new thread on the proposed ipsecme charter change and resolve the open
questions by email. Let's start off with the text that came out of Wednesday's
meeting and the questions raised there.

The text from the meeting describing the problem to be solved was:

In an environment with many IPsec gateways and remote clients that share an
established trust infrastructure (in a single administrative domain or across
multiple domains), customers want to get on-demand mesh IPsec capability for
efficiency. However, this cannot be feasibly accomplished only with today's
IPsec and IKE due to problems with address lookup, reachability, policy
configuration, etc.

And the main open questions from the meeting were:

* Should we create a problem statement and requirements
  draft?

* Should we create a Standards Track document with
  the solution or just document existing proprietary
  vendor solutions in Informational RFCs?

Please respond to this email with comments on the problem description text and
on the questions.
I think we need to reach consensus on those basic matters before we can work on
final proposed text for the charter change.

Thanks,

Steve